Let’s face it we need no reason to celebrate our favourite four legged friends. They greet us when we come home from work as if we’ve won an Oscar every day, they give the best cuddles, and they hardly ever judge us when we’re going for that extra slice of pizza.
Okay, so maybe they sometimes judge us silently but that’s only because we’re not giving it to them!
We’re a nation fascinated with our pet BFFs and furry family members. So in honour of National Pet Month, here are 10 signs you’re obsessed with your pet:
- You’re sad that you can’t share the joy of chocolate with your dog because it’s poisonous for them. So you buy them doggy treats and eat double the amount of chocolate just to narrate to them how amazing it is. After all, sharing is caring.
- You want matching jackets… with your names on. In fact you just want to permanently wear the same outfits because it’s seriously too cute to handle despite being a bit weird. You’ve probably shopped in the baby and toddler section of stores to look for the perfect outfit for best. It’s a bit difficult trying to explain to the sales assistant why your daughter has a tail though…
- You tell your kids the pets are their siblings. This has probably led to some very awkward chats with their teachers at parents’ evening.
- Even though your house is covered in pet beds, you still let them have yours. Even though your house is covered in pet beds, you still let them have yours. Forget your significant other, they’re clinging to the edge of the bed while you and your beloved pet are stretched out. Your fur baby is your little spoon and permanent hot water bottle, it’s a bond no one can break!
- Despite being scared, you put up with their mad moments. We’ve all been there, curled up foetal style on the sofa as the dog runs up and down post-bath or watching the cat chasing nothing but the fairies in their mind. Why do they do this? Nobody knows.
- You make a heart sign with your hands while mouthing ‘I love you’ when they watch you leave for work. Your biggest dream in life is for them to understand that you’ll be home in time for tea and trashy soaps at 5.30pm.
- Your Facebook wall is full of status updates about your pet… and you know the only ones liking those are your mum and other people who are as obsessed with their animals.
- In fact they do have an Instagram page. While you’re not a pushy stage parent, you’re quite eager for them to get more followers than Grumpy Cat so you can quit your day job. Look out Kris Jenner, there’s a new momager in town!!
- When it’s time for a vet visit, you bond with the other pet parents in the waiting room. They’re the only ones who understand your plight. Plus you recognised them as one of your pet’s Instagram followers so you must greet the public.
- Your pet is just as obsessed with you too. They watch you sleep, eat, talk on the phone, leave the house… they even watch you watching TV! You know it’s strange. They know it’s bizarre. Neither of you care because you’re happy!